12 August 2017

Pictures from recent SAGA games

Played a bit of SAGA during my vacation, both with Caroline against her favored Anglo-Danes and over at my friend Thomas house against a crusader army of our buddy Fredrik. Thomas played with his Normans against Fredriks Crusaders.

Clash of warlords is always fun to play, two of the games were randomly determined to be this scenario where both warlords start in the center of the table with multiple health and the warband that has a warlord with the least amount of wounds by the end of the game wins. We also managed to play the Harry and burn scenario from Age of the Wolf which was quite fun, a marauding warband is out to burn fields and houses in the defending players village - with victory points awarded for burnt fields and buildings. 

I must say that I was a bit disappointed in how Age of the Wolf turned out, there certainly are a bunch of good ideas but the campaign system is a mess and extremely weird and random with the rewards. I will most likely not play the campaign as it is written. And as a Fredrik and Thomas said, why bother buying a campaign book if you have to fix it with tons of house rules to make it playable?! On the subject of weird books, we also talked about the mess that is the SAGA rulebook collection. It would have been really good if the rulebook got a 2nd edition with all FAQ, errata and rules spread out over multiple books combined into one volume. At the moment the game is great fun, but finding all you need to play is a pain in the balls.


Considering the money spent on the excellently comission painted army I have I wish I would field them vikings more often on my wargaming table. However I'm currently assembling enough minis to play "Viking fantasy" so perhaps the Vikings will see more action in the near future.

4 comments:

  1. Very good looking terrain and figures!

    And yes, I would be glad too if we would get a 2nd edition of the rule book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful tables and figures (as always) - most inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive pictures, great looking terrain and figures!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...